Summer is here. Do you know the best ways to cool down your home?
In just a few days, summer 2022 will officially begin.
However, chances are you’re already feeling the heat of summer on some days. You know the hottest days of the year will bear down daily in the near future.
Keep it cool
At C & C Heating & Air Conditioning, we want our Detroit neighbors to beat the heat while saving a bit of money on their utility costs, so we’re offering some tips to help boost your air conditioner’s efficiency this summer.
- Keep your windows closed and covered during the day. Yes, the sun is shining and it’s a pretty day, but keeping your blinds or curtains shut during the hottest part of the day will decrease the temperature in a home.
- Insulate your doors and windows. If you have gaps at the bottom of your external doors or surrounding your windows, you can purchase some inexpensive weather stripping at any hardware or home improvement store. They can be used to keep the cool air from leaking out, causing your AC unit to have to work harder.
- Don’t use the oven. Home-cooked meals are the best, but during the hottest days of summer, running the oven just adds heat to the home. Try using a slow cooker or your outside grill to make dinner. If you have to use the oven, do it after sundown or before sunrise.
- Use ceiling fans to boost efficiency. Ceiling fans, themselves, don’t lower the temperature, but when used in conjunction with your home’s air conditioning system, they can help displace hot air and circulate the cool air from the AC.
- Manage your home’s humidity. Ceiling fans can also help dry up excess moisture and homeowners can also use a dehumidifier to soak up some of the dampness that adds to the humidity.
- Swap your bulbs. Incandescent light bulbs are not only less efficient than their compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) or light emitting diode (LED) counterparts, they are also hotter. Switching to a more energy-efficient bulb can keep the heat down in your home.
Keep it running
In addition to these DIY methods, you should also have your air conditioner tuned up so that it is running at its most efficient. Ideally, the best time to tune up your AC is in the spring. However, if you have not scheduled a maintenance visit, you should do so before the temperatures get too hot. An air conditioning system with an undiagnosed issue is most likely to experience a failure when the system has to work harder on the hottest days of the year.
If you need maintenance or if your air conditioner is experiencing issues, call your cooling experts at C & C at (586) 439-3319 or fill out the contact form on our website to let us know how we can help you and your family stay cool this summer.